Tuesday, October 16, 2007

cars

The last two weekends in a row, I've had dudes crawling out of the woodwork on Sunday trying to buy VW-related items. Weekend before last, I was sitting in my house, minding my own business, wasting some time on the Gamecube, when there comes a knock on the door. I am not a fan of the unexpected visitor. Selling something? Just stopping by? Not a fan.

In this case, the guy wanted to buy the roof rack off my VW Bug. The conversation went something like this:

Him: Hi, is that your red bug in the driveway there?
Me: uh, yeah.
Him: Would you be interested in selling me your roof rack?
Me: uh, I don't know, maybe?
Him: Well, how much do you want for it?
Me: jeez, I don't know, I wasn't really thinking about selling it. I have no idea.
Him: come on, just say a price.
Me: you know, i just couldn't say. I'm not really wanting to sell it particularly, why don't you tell me how much you'd like to pay for it.
Him: Well, I have a bug I'm restoring at home, and I just want to take this home and put it on there.
Me: OK, so how much was that?
Him: oh, uh, $40?
Me: No, not for $40. Why don't you just buy a new one, they cost about $150, and they're brand new.
Him: what? well how much, then?
Me: I don't know, it's like, part of the car for me. You want to buy the whole car?
Him: no.
Me: hmm. too bad.
Him: well what's it worth to you?
Me: to me? it's worth $100, because that's how much the value of the vehicle goes up just having a rack as a throw-in when I sell it.
Him: $100? for that? look at the wood, I'd have to totally redo the wood!
Me: look, I'm not trying to sell it, I'm trying not to sell it. Go buy a new one. for that matter, go online and buy a used one for $75.
Him: I don;t want to go online. I want this one right here, right now.
Me: look, I'll make it easy on you. It's not for sale, OK?
Him, stomping his foot: What? I'll give you $75 then. Meet me halfway!
Me: no, it's not for sale, sorry I wasted your time.
Him: you're trying to get $100, aren't you?
Me: no, it's not about that, sorry, it's just not going to happen, OK?
Him, stomping his foot again: What? What?
Me: see ya, dude.
So I went back inside, thinking about how maybe he'd just show up after dark and steal it. We had somewhere to go, so I got everybody ready, and as I was walking out of the house, the dude pulls up again. He whips out $100.
Me: Fine. Let me help you load it up. I don't know why you want to pay me $100 for something that's not worth $100, but it's your money.
Him: obviously thrilled: Well, I get to take it home and put it on my car, right here right now.
Me: OK, man.

And that's how I sold my rack for $100. I would have taken $75, but I was too lazy to pull the rack off the car for that much. I told my kids that this shows how laziness pays off.

Next weekend, a couple of guys pull up in a completely beautiful old Bus, and ask about the car itself(!). I showed them around, pointed out the damage, and told them about my wife's car back in the carport. They took a look, and, although they weren't willing to break the bank, each of them was interested in one of the cars. The price they offered me for the red bug I snapped up instantly, but the other one I had to think about. I think I'll take it, though. It would be great to have both of those cars gone, and even better to know that someone will be working on them to fix them up. I hope it works out. The first guy is supposed to call me today to see about getting the red bug.

No comments: