Monday, March 24, 2008

Oventually

Finally, at long last, after numerous delays, setbacks, and vast tracts of empty procrastination, I've installed a new oven in my kitchen. It's awesome. I'm knackered.

This oven has been in my house, waiting to be installed, for many months now. It's silly how long it was there waiting. The problem was that we needed to have a cooktop, too, since it's a wall oven. So, we ordered a cooktop. Then, we needed to have a cabinet to install the oven and cooktop into. So, we took the oven specs in and ordered a cabinet. Once we got the cabinet home, it was totally wrong. The huge cardboard box the cabinet came in wasn't even big enough to accomodate the oven.

So Saturday and Sunday, I took the cabinet back whence it came, and, with the help of family members (who were coming over for Easter activities of various sorts), installed not only the oven and cooktop, but also a 9-foot length of countertop and all the oven trim. Rewiring was done. I crawled under the house (not my favorite). Nothing else got done.

But now, I have this beautiful Wolf oven and a new ceramic cooktop in my kitchen, rather than just sitting on a dolly in my back room. I also have the desire to lay down and sleep until tomorrow. Right now, that's looking like a project for another day.

2 comments:

PAgent said...

Bastard! I'd love to have a new oven and cooktop. Unfortunately in our kitchen that would mean a major remodel.

arbitrary said...

Well, it should mean that in our kitchen, too, but we went with a temporary solution until we can get up the gumption to start tearing down walls and buying cabinets.

My wife used the new oven to bake muffins last night, and at one point she was sitting on the floor in front of the oven gazing into the oversized window, absolutely rapt. "I love this oven," I believe she said. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.