Thursday, August 12, 2010

the chain

1. I find myself in a position to which I am neither suited nor attracted.
2. I got here through various acts of Bad Faith (acting on the fallacy that I have no choice).
3. I will continue choosing to do this work as long as I am unable to perceive a significantly better alternative.
4. I'm completely uncertain that, as a means, continuing in this job meets any of the ends I hope to achieve, such as gaining marketable skills or improving my financial security. Being unemployed would certainly act counter to those ends, and is therefore not preferable.
5. It's clear that moving into something else (if that's even possible) without first getting training will leave me with a similar problem, unless that something else has a strongly compelling interest to me.
6. I have not yet identified a specific position that has a strongly compelling interest to me, that lies within my demonstrable experience, and that demands the use of my formal skills. Increasing my skills and experience might increase overlap with my interests.
7. My focus now should be on building formally defined marketable skills and demonstrable experience, not on changing the underlying position I hold. I need to learn what I can where I am before moving on.

No comments: