Wednesday, October 10, 2007

sad, happy

I'm very sad today because my brother is leaving again for Thailand. Although I'm bummed that he's not around, his visit made me feel better about several things. I feel better about a lot of the decisions I've made in my life that have led me to do what I do, live where I live, and work where I work. I'm not always entirely happy about any of those things, but really, they're OK for now. Maybe some things could change, and maybe at some point I will be doing something I love for a job, and living someplace I feel connected to. I would like for what I do, where I live, and where I work to all be about the same thing. I would like for my life to be more focus and less distraction, essentially.

But for now, my life is functional. I have a few activities that I really enjoy, and people I enjoy doing those activities with. The rest is just a distraction.

The fact that a short visit from my brother, during which we didn't even see each other every day, can have such an effect on how I view my life, has highlighted for me how pivotal some relationships can be in a person's life. For me, those relationships are about family. I don't think I'm very good at expressing this sort of thing to the people that matter to me.

No comments: