Friday, June 22, 2007

new book

I just went to Borders to spend a gift card from father's day. I really didn't know what I wanted to get, so I headed to the beer & food section. I didn't see any food books I wanted to own, so I checked out the brewing-related titles and settled on Designing Great Beers. I think this will be a great resource for me, and I'm excited to try it out. I mean, it's all fine and well being able to throw some things together and just see what happens, but as I've just painfully learned, unless you actually control how it all goes down, you're rolling the dice. I enjoy a strong shot of chaos in the kitchen, but I've also done some studying to be able to control that chaos to my benefit (usually).

So now, when I decide I'd like to try brewing thus-and-such a style, I'll have a more thorough resource that will allow me to identify possible problems with the style and take steps to correct for them. What a concept.

3 comments:

PAgent said...

If you are interested in an understanding of what's going on in your beer on a molecular level, I recommend George Fix's book "Principals of Brewing Science".

It's a little heavy on Organic Chemistry, but nothing you couldn't handle.

Heck, I'll loan you my copy. I keep it downtown anyway.

PAgent said...

That's "PrinciPLES of Brewing Science". Sigh.

arbitrary said...

Awesome. I wanted to tell you that your suggestions about using a starter for the yeast are completely vindicated by Designing Great Beers, and he even explains why it's important. I should just quit being so stubborn and listen.